Thursday 27 September 2007

How Not to Have a Successful Relationship

They say that the most important part of a successful relationship is communication.

It’s been my ambition for quite a long time now to be ‘they’ because then people would believe me. And heed my wise words. However I have singularly failed to be plural and stalwartly remain ‘she’, which, frankly doesn’t have the same ring about it.

They say that the most important part of a successful relationship is communication.
I realise now that my communication skills have obviously been lacking. I’ve had 25 years to impart important information and yet the Beloved is still unaware of many important facts.

I also realise now, since he is moving out on Friday, that there is stuff he will probably never know. I am deeply concerned about this. It could affect his future in a profound, deep and dramatic way. He is launching into the unknown (or at least a swanky flat in Radyr) unequipped with some of the most basic knowledge that leads to a successful life.

I didn’t realise just how poor my communication skills were until this afternoon. This is what happened:

The Beloved decided that he would clean the inside of the car. I advised the hoover as a expedient, effective and moderately jolly way to remove five years of crisp crumbs, chocolate dust and unknowable little grey bits from interior car surfaces. Unusually and quite unexpectedly he agrees with me. I reel in surprise. He reels in surprise. When we have finished reeling he asks,

‘Where is the hoover?’

You see what I mean? Important information. Not communicated. No wonder he is leaving. This is such a basic and unforgivable mistake that how he never left before is slightly unimaginable.

The hoover, in case anyone is now wondering, is in the same cupboard as it has been for the last 15 years. I told the Beloved this. He looked puzzled. I drew a map (he has a degree in Geography and I thought this was the sort of thing he might relate to).

It set me thinking. What else haven’t I told him? Loads. Oops. Damn. Bother. Blast. To remedy the situation I have compiled a handy list entitled ‘What I always meant to tell you but, sorry, somehow, in the hurly-burly of family life I somehow, quite without meaning to, and with no malice of forethought or intention to do harm I forgot’.

This is the List:
Where the hoover lives
Why pans in the cupboard are stacked with the largest on the bottom and the smallest on the top
Where your glasses are (although I have mentioned this, he tends to outwit me on this one by moving them)
Why it is polite to shower
Where your keys are (although I have mentioned this, he tends to outwit me on this one by moving them)
Why precious pieces of slightly mouldy flat-packed furniture are better stored inside rather than outside the shed
What the machine with the big round window is for (he has one of those in his swanky new flat and I don’t want him trying to store milk in it)
Why it is polite to use a condom
Where your wallet is (although I have mentioned this, he tends to outwit me on this one by moving it)
Why that isn’t very nice
What women want.

I’m sure there are more. But I can always email him.
Ah, yes, that’s one – How to connect to the internet. I’ll send a letter instead.

No comments: