Wednesday 13 February 2008

How Not to Shop for Valentines Day

I’ve just been to ASDA. It’s 11pm Feb 13. The supermarket was very full. Of bewildered and confused men.

This is what happened:

The supermarket was very full. Of bewildered and confused men.

I tried to help by standing next to the flowers and coughing politely at the men buying the cheap chrysanthemums whilst gently fingering some blood-red roses. I then stood dreamily by the very largest and most expensive chocolates licking my lips in what I imagined to be a seductive manner (I fear it may have been misinterpreted as my having a bad cold). I indicated helpfully towards Tom Jones CDs and wiggled my hips to the memory of ‘What’s New Pussycat’.

All in vain I fear. I’d like to apologise to the women of Cardiff for my lack of influential powers.

The queues were long and sinuous. And male. I closely observed the nature of the purchases. This is what the average (I suppose they were average for I didn’t have my x-ray specs on) ASDA shopping man thought would turn their loved ones on:

Man 1: A single sad lily and a box of frozen fish-fingers.

Man 2: Cheap chrysanthemums and some batteries.

Man 3: Milk.

Man 4: A card of the most hideous nature depicting kittens and little hearts

Man 5: Air freshener, toilet cleaner, hoover bags, rubber gloves, champagne, roses, black forest gateaux a bumper box of condoms, and (I kid you not) a kit for moulding your own chocolate bunnies.

Naturally, after having paid for my bananas and kiwi fruit, I followed Man 5 home.

No comments: