Thursday 11 January 2018

How Not to Communicate Successfully

‘Someone called me in the night! Woke me up!’
‘Oh?’ I said, trying to sound nonchalant. Not my best sound effect early in the morning.
‘Guess who it was.’ Said Man
My mind ranged from friends having mechanical emergencies, other friends having carpenterial emergencies, speaking clocks, ex-wives, and figments of his imagination.
However I have some experience in answering these sort of accusational questions. So I knew how to get a top score –
‘Me?’
‘Yes!’ Bingo.
‘I just called to say I love you.’ I covered adeptly.
‘It sounded like snoring.’ Now this was beginning to have a ring of plausibility. Snoring is what I usually say in the night. Hence Man not sharing bed.
‘I just called to say I love you’ I tried again
‘So I hung up and I could still hear you!’
‘I just snored to say I love you.’


Further phone investigation revealed that I had also reset the background to a charming picture of a blanket, played Enya, won three games of solitaire, called the laundry people, my dentist and an Unknown number. I’m hoping that Unknown better understood my message.

No comments: