Wednesday 18 April 2007

50 Things Continued - A Mountaineers Story

Gathered in the pub for a birthday (not mine) I decided to harvest some opinions and thoughts re 50 things to do before 50. This led to the discovery that many of my friends have not even considered this sticky conundrum. How could this be? I wondered. Do they have no ambition? Is it their intention to sink quietly into middle age without even underwater tangoing, acquiring a taste for an unlikely and slimy food product or jumping off a surprisingly steep cliff top with only a spotted handkerchief for support? As it turns out – yes. But thanks to me, some have seriously reconsidered their life choices and offered some possibilities, not only for themselves but for me.

Thanks to Sam for the best suggestions –
Joining the mile high club (there was some debate among the pedantic as to whether it was actually a mile high but the general concept was there).
Doing it in zero gravity (any offers of space trips gratefully accepted)
And something else equally great, which sadly I have now forgotten.
I therefore also add to the list –
Remembering great suggestions about what I should do before I’m 50.

Thanks to David for pointing out that obviously playing an unlikely instrument in a band in front of the whole village (and therefore causing much embarrassment) (to the village, not me) must have been an ambition of mine otherwise why the hell did I do it? (Actually, not sure David would use the word ‘hell’ because (sorry David) he is straightness personified.) Because I did do it. And he sent me the undeniable proof – he captured me on video. So ha! Another ambition achieved.

However the most thanks is probably due to Richard who declared that it must surely be all of our ambitions to scale the giddy heights of the birthday person’s garden in the dark whilst having consumed far too much beer, in order to attain the nirvana of the shed that is perched atop aforementioned garden. When I say scale, I mean scale. This garden is steep, very and surprisingly and undeniably steep. An experienced mountain goat wearing a full set of crampons might balk at the idea of a drunken dark ascent. But not us, oh no, not even me, in an unlikely pair of high heels.
We roped up and began the ascent. At base camp (level with the house roof) there were a few questions asked as to just how prudent this expedition was. The more inebriated of us poo pooed these doubters, refused to untie them and carried on. At not so base camp (a slightly more refined camp) (about where the vegetable patch is) many of us were having to hold hands. Can’t actually vouch for why we were holding hands. By the final ascent the gradient was so extreme that crawling proved to be the only option. Tricky whilst holding hands but we were VERY intrepid.
The shed (more of a chalet really) proved how worthwhile the whole expedition had been. It was replete with a chair and a calendar. How could we be anything other than thrilled? And we weren’t anything other – we were thrilled.

So lets face it – ambition can only be a good thing when it can lead ordinary citizens to have such adventures. More suggestions re 50 things welcome. Also Sam – what was that thing you said that sounded so good?

No comments: