Sunday 1 April 2007

The Best Anniversary Ever

Today is our 24th not-anniversary. It is a not-anniversary because we are not (yet?) married. And yes, the date is obviously significant.
Today we forswore the usual gift-buying, expensive hotel and lavish seduction because my beloved has flu, or tonsillitis, or some other life-threatening lurgie as yet to be identified (he’s a man and therefore has not been to visit the appropriate health professional). However this is nowhere near as bad as it sounds because his condition has left him bereft of the power of speech. This lack of linguistic prowess has afforded me the perfect opportunity to interpret what he is trying to convey. This morning’s conversation ran thus:
Beloved – ‘Splurg.’
Me – ‘I love you too.’
Beloved – ‘Arg cough cough.’
Me – ‘Yes it has been a blissful 24 years.’
Beloved – ‘Garg.’ (some mucus involved here)
Me – ‘And I too have never looked at another man’
Beloved – ‘Urggle raaargh’ (considerably more mucus involved here)
Me – ‘Yes! I knew you would ask me in the end! I will marry you!’
Beloved – ‘’ (he has passed out)

So, another one of my 50 ambitions achieved. I am planning a June wedding, you are all invited.

No comments: