Monday 23 April 2007

Classical Proofs – Or How to Tell if a Man Fancies You

We are all looking for ways of proving things. Mostly so we can say – Ha! Told you so! But, Sherlock Holmes-like we usually use a method called deduction. This is where you gather all the facts and decide what they mean. For example, one of the most common questions in life is ‘does he fancy me?’ If you were to use a deductive method to discover the answer to this fact it would go something like this:

He kissed me
He slept with me
He fell asleep straight after
Therefore he fancies me.

Straightforward enough. Seems to work. However there is another form of proof that can work so much better. Proof by induction. Equally popular with some ancient Greek bods and you can really see why. This is where you look at some random facts and simply draw the relevant conclusion. In this case it would go something like this:

He kissed me
He slept with me
He fell asleep straight after
Therefore all men fancy me.

See what I mean? The Greeks knew a thing or two that old Sherlock seems to have missed.

No comments: